Questions/Comments? Contact us at FAQs@wbgalumni.org

About FAQs

Expand All Collapse All

Disclaimer: Information contained in these FAQs is based on contributions from members. It is not a substitute for seeking professional advice on specialized matters when making any personal decisions.

Why FAQs?

The purpose of these FAQs is to provide quick information to your questions and link you to sources where you can find more in-depth information. This is a living document which we will regularly review and update. Feel free to write us with your comments and suggestions at FAQs@wbgalumni.org

February 9, 2023


Expand All Collapse All
Who can join the Society?

Membership is open to:

  1.  former staff members (including the Presidents, EDs, Alternates and their staff) who are either receiving a World Bank Group (WBG) pension or have chosen a deferred pension;
  2. individuals who had 3 or more years of service, including some pensionable service, in the WBG;
  3. individuals on special leave or in such other status as the Board of Directors may approve for membership and who served at least 3 years in the WBG; and,
  4. the surviving spouse/registered domestic partner of any Member (at no cost)
How much does it cost to join the Society?
  • There is a one-time membership fee, currently set at $75.00
  • Note that the surviving spouse/registered domestic partner of any Member does not pay a membership fee.
How do I join a Thematic Group?
  1. From the Society website, click on “Member Profile.”
  2. Your “Member Profile: Account” appears.
  3. Click on Thematic Groups/Clubs Subscription and select the Thematic Group(s) that you wish to join.
  4. Click on “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page.
How do I join an Activity Club?
  1. From the Society website, click on “Member Profile.”
  2. Your “Member Profile: Account” appears.
  3. Click on Thematic Groups/Clubs Subscription and select the Activity(s) that you wish to join.
  4. Click on “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page.
Where can I find information about Treks and Tours offered by the Society?
  • From the homepage, under “Activities,” click on “Treks and Tours.”
  • Trip details and sign-up instructions are listed.
  • Trip details and sign-up instructions are listed on our website. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic all trips planned in 2020 were rescheduled and have resumed in 2022. They are now offered subject to the availability of vaccines and health and tourism restrictions within the respective countries.
Who can go on the Treks and Tours?

They are open to all members of the 1818 Society and their spouse/partner regardless of the members country of residence.

February 9, 2023

Email and Contact Information

Expand All Collapse All
How do I get a Society email account?
  1. Fill out the relevant section of the membership form to request an email. Or, if you did not request one when you joined the Society, send a request with your first and last name, former WBG email address and a current email address to the Society office, 1818Society@wbgalumni.org
  2. Email accounts are created in batches, so it may take a few days for your account to be created. Once the account is created, you will receive a system-generated email from gsuite-noreply@google.com, with your username, temporary password, and instructions. Note that the temporary password is valid only for 48 hours.
  3. If you don’t activate your account within the 48 hours, you will need to email 1818Society@wbgalumni.org to request them to reset your password. You will then receive a new temporary password.
  4. Note that email accounts are available to all Society members who were WBG staff members but are not available to spouses.
What other benefits can I obtain with my Society email?
  • Your Society email is a Gmail-based account with a customized ending.
  • It gives you up to 30 GB of storage, plus many other Google apps to use, such as Docs, Sheets, Slides (which are similar to Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Groups, Drive (for sharing documents), photos, Meet (for group chats), calendar, groups and more. It is yours to use as you please!
When I joined the Society, I used an old email address which I don’t use anymore. How can I change to my new email?
  1. From the Society website, click on “Member Profile.”
  2. Your “Member  Profile: Account” appears.
  3. Update the email address field that need to be changed.
  4. Click on “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page.

NOTE:  If you have any difficulty in updating this field, contact the 1818 office by sending an email to 1818Society@wbgalumni.org

I recently moved. How do I update my contact information?
  1. From the Society website, click on “Member Profile.”
  2. Your “Member Profile: Account ” appears.
  3. Update the field(s) that need to be changed.
  4. Click on “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page.

NOTE:  If you have any difficulty in updating this field, contact the 1818 office by sending an email to 1818Society@wbgalumni.org

How do I contact Pension Administration?

Pension Administration
Email: 1pension@worldbank.org
Phone: +1 202 458 2977
Fax: +1 202 522 1723

How do I contact Human Resources?

HR Service Center
Email: hroperations@worldbank.org
Phone: +1 202 473 2222
Fax: +1 202 522 2150
NOTE: Always include your UPI in your correspondence.

How do I contact the 1818 Society?

As of September 2022, the office has moved to a Hybrid phase after two years of closure due to COVID-19. The office will now be open Tuesday-Thursday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. On Monday and Friday, the office staff will work remotely.

Phone: +1 202 458 1956/57
Email: 1818Society@wbgalumni.org

How do I contact the Credit Union?

Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union
Phone: +1 202 212 6400 or 1 800 923 7328 (toll free from U.S. and Canada)
International toll-free numbers available from https://bfsfcu.org

February 9, 2023

1818 Society Website

Expand All Collapse All
How do I log into the Society website?
  1. Enter www.wbgalumni.org in the address bar.
  2. Click on “Members Login”.
  3. Enter either your username (UPI using format wb123456) or your email address registered with the 1818 Society.
  4. Enter your password and add/subtract the two numbers on your screen to verify that you are not a robot.
  5. Press Login.
What if I don’t yet have a password for the Society website or have forgotten it?
  • If you do not have a password or don’t remember it, click “Forgot your password? Click here to reset it.”
  • Enter your username or email address and click “Reset Password.”
  • You will receive a link to your password at the email registered the 1818 Society.
  • Click the link you are sent, then change your password.
How do I access the Pension Portal?

Go to https://pension.worldbank.org and use the email account/password as registered with the Pension Administration to sign-in.

How do I access HR Resources?
How do I access the WBG Bulletin Board?

From the Society website:

    1. Click on WBG Resources.
    2. Click on Bulletin Board.
    3. You will be prompted to log in using your Pension Portal log-in credentials, which will take you directly to the Bulletin Board.
Where can I find information about past events?
  • Information on past events organized by Thematic Groups are posted on the webpages of the relevant Thematic Group pages on the website.
  • Information on events organized by Health Insurance Committee, Pension Committee, Credit Union, Members Helping Members, Information Technology and Taxes and Immigration are posted on their pages under the WBG Alumni Resources Tab.  For events on the Community Connections Campaign, see the relevant page under the Activities Tab.
  • Links to recent postings are also included in the Weekly Update.
How do I get help or send comments on our website?

Send an email to TechHelp@wbgalumni.org

February 9, 2023

Health Insurance for Retirees (RMIP & RMBP)

Expand All Collapse All
What is the difference between RMIP and RMBP?

The Retiree Medical Insurance Plan (RMIP) is the WBG health insurance plan for international staff and staff retiring from headquarters.  The Retiree Medical Benefits Plan (RMBP) is the health insurance plan offered by WBG to former staff  recruited locally in country offices.

How is RMIP administered?

WBG contracts out administration of medical insurance plans to specific insurance administrators (vendors) who only execute the WBG plans, and have no financial interest related to approving or denying claims. Currently, the vendors are as follows:

  • Medical: AETNA for members residing in the U.S. and members residing overseas who chose to enroll with AETNA. Once a member enrolls in Medicare, it becomes the primary insurer and AETNA secondary.
  • Dental: CIGNA Dental for members in the U.S.A., who are covered by Aetna medical.
  • Prescription Drug Coverage: CVS/Caremark for medications purchased in the U.S. SilverScript covers members who are Medicare D eligible. If the member purchases medications outside the U.S., reimbursement will be made by the medical vendor.
  • CIGNA International administers medical, dental and prescription drug coverage for members with a non-U.S. pension address. For members residing outside the U.S. and under CIGNA International, once they enroll in their respective National Health Plan (NHP), it becomes the primary insurer and CIGNA International the secondary.
What are the benefits covered by RMIP?
  • RMIP is a comprehensive health insurance plan offered by the World Bank Group (WBG) for former Headquarters (HQ) staff and their eligible dependents.
  • For details, see the RMIP Summary Plan Description.
How can I find information about the specific insurance vendors under RMIP?

The websites of the vendors are very good sources of information about the benefits that RMIP offers, limitations, claim processes, status of claims, etc.

What if I have problems with my insurance claims?
  1. Contact the Customer Service for the vendor listed on the back of your member card. All vendors maintain special customer service representatives who are knowledgeable about RMIP and/or have access to the relevant information.
  2. However, if you’re not satisfied with the response, contact HR at hroperations@worldbank.org including details and a copy of the complaint/dispute.
  3. If issues remain, send an email to 1818society@wbgalumni.org with the subject line, Attn: Chair, Health Insurance Committee.
What about direct deposits?
  • For WBG retirees, AETNA provides direct deposits to your bank account in the U.S. if you are enrolled in direct deposit.
  • CIGNA Dental reimburses your payment by sending a check through the mail.
  • CIGNA International reimburses payments by direct deposit in some countries or by check in other countries.
  • Procedures for obtaining direct deposits are on the vendors website or you can call Customer Service of the vendor to get details.
Where do I get ID cards for the vendors?

The respective vendors, including Medicare, issue all ID cards. If you have not received your card, contact the respective provider.

What is Medicare?

Medicare is the U.S. health insurance program for people age 65 or older and younger people receiving Social Security disability benefits. The program helps with the cost of health care, but it doesn’t cover all medical expenses.

Do I have to join a National Health Plan (NHP), e.g., Medicare, when I retire?
  • Yes, under RMIP rules, retirees and their dependents are required to enroll in the National Health Plan (NHP) of the resident country registered with Pension (PEN), if they are eligible as a national of that country. In the U.S., Medicare is the National Health Plan and enrollment is required for all eligible retirees and their spouse/partner who is eligible for Medicare in the RMIP.
  • An eligible retiree/spouse/partner is required to enroll in Medicare B (always comes with a premium) and only in Medicare A if (s)he is eligible to enroll premium-free. Premium-free Medicare A is only available for individuals who have contributed at least 40 quarters to Social Security.
  • Note that a spouse or partner who is eligible for Medicare needs to enroll in Medicare even if the former staff member is not yet eligible. This is important to avoid Medicare late enrollment penalties.
  • See all relevant Medicare details and FAQs provided by HR. The information explains where to apply for Medicare, how claims are submitted, and how premiums are reimbursed by WBG.
When must I apply for Medicare?

RMIP members who are turning 65 and are eligible for Medicare (U.S. citizens and U.S. Green Card holders who have been living in the U.S. for the past five years, even if part of those years were in G4 status) are required to apply for Medicare up to three months before or three months after their 65th birthday.

I’m a Green Card holder and can’t complete Medicare enrollment online, unlike U.S. citizens. What do I do?

Arrange for an interview with Social Security. Bring a letter from HR confirming retiree eligibility for Social Security.

Do I need to inform anybody after enrollment in Medicare?
  • Notify your medical care providers, and pharmacy as soon as you enroll in Medicare and have your card (or membership number) as their billing approach will change. Medical care providers will file with Medicare and pharmacies with SilverScript.
  • Also inform AETNA so they can set up direct coordination with Medicare. Providers will bill Medicare who will coordinate with AETNA. Normally, this works automatically, and you do not need to intervene. Medicare and AETNA will inform you separately about what they do (not) pay and what you might have to pay yourself.
What if my doctor does not participate in Medicare?

Ask your doctor to provide you an opt-out letter, which you must include when you file a claim with AETNA for reimbursement. Doctor’s offices are familiar with the opt-out letter requirement.

I am on Medicare and just had surgery. I need physical therapy, but the provider does not deal with insurance. What do I need to do to get reimbursed?
  • Note that since the provider does not deal with insurance, you are likely to be charged at a higher rate than what Medicare or Aetna allow and you are probably paying more out of pocket.
  • First, submit Patient’s Request for Medical Payment Form (CMS 1490S) along with physician’s referral requisition for physical therapy services and copy(s) of paid invoices for service
  • Once you receive approval/rejection from Medicare, send to MIP Claims (Aetna) the following documents:
    • Completed World Bank Claim for Hospital and Other Medical Expenses
    • Copy of Invoice(s) for physical therapy services showing paid in full or proof of payment
    • Medicare approval/rejection of the claims
    • Physician’s Referral Requisitions for Physical Therapy Services
What is SilverScript (Medicare Part D) and how do I apply for it?
  • The WBG sponsors a Medicare Part D plan combined with additional coverage to mirror the current WBG prescription drug plan for staff. The pharmacy vendor for HQ-based staff is CVS/Caremark.
  • For retirees eligible for U.S. Medicare, a Medicare Part D plan is also offered through SilverScript which is an affiliate of CVS/Caremark.
  • You do not need to enroll in Medicare Part D; the WBG automatically enrolls you if you are eligible. Medicare requires that you be given the choice to opt out of the plan. However, if you are eligible for Part D and you choose to opt out, you will lose your prescription drug coverage under RMIP.
Will I be reimbursed for the cost of NHP/Medicare?
  • The Medicare B and D premiums are reimbursed by WBG.
  • A premium reduction under RMIP may be available to members who permanently reside outside of the U.S. and who enroll in the national health plan of their country of permanent residence. See more information on the Retirees Page on the WBG External Web.
I am about to turn 65 or am already participating in Medicare and I get mail which offers additional insurance plans. Do I need to sign up for those?
  • U.S. citizens and permanent residents are required to sign up for Medicare B and through HR for Medicare D (Silver Script).
  • Retirees who are eligible to receive Medicare A without paying a premium are expected to sign up for this and will benefit from using that option.
  • No, you do not need to sign up for so-called ‘Medicare Advantage’ plans which are commercial additional insurance for items already covered by RMIP and Medicare.
I just received a letter from the U.S. SSA announcing higher premiums for Medicare Part B and D due to Income-related Monthly Adjustment Amounts (IRMAA) for next year. What do I need to do?

Submit Form F00032 Retiree MIP Medicare Reimbursements to HR Operations with a copy of all the letters that SSA sent you which specify the Medicare IRMAA Parts B and D you owe for the period for which reimbursement is claimed. If no SSA letter is available, attach Medicare premium invoice.

I’m a Medicare enrollee who pays the standard Part B premium. Do I have to do anything if there is a rate increase?

No, you don’t need to take any action because your premium reimbursement will be automatically updated.

I’m a U.S. citizen and Medicare enrollee whose Medicare premium is deducted directly from my social security payments. Do I need to do anything if there is a rate increase?
  • Yes, Medicare enrollees who pay their Medicare premiums via a deductible from their Social Security benefit check are required to submit proof of their 2022 Medical Part B premium amounts to HR Operations along with Form F00032.
  • Until you submit the updated 2022 premium information to HR Operations you will only receive an initial reimbursement of the previous year’s standard reimbursement amount per person.
I retired from a country office. What is the Retiree Medical Benefits Plan (RMBP) and what are its benefits?
Where can I find more Information about RMIP and RMBP ?

Details of medical insurance benefits for both Headquarters and Country Office retirees, forms for medical and dental claims, enrollment in national health plans and reporting life events, and additional resources are described on the Retirees Page on the WBG External Web.

March 13, 2023


Expand All Collapse All
What is the Pension Retiree Portal and how do I access it?
  • It is the website set up by WBG Pension Administration for you to access necessary forms, tax letters, Staff Retirement Plan annual reports, and other information.
  • To access the Retiree Portal, go to https://pension.worldbank.org and use the email account/password as registered with the Pension Administration to sign-in.
  • To access your pension information, you must then click on the link labeled “Retiree Portal” on the upper right side of the webpage.
How is Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) for the Staff Retirement Plan (SRP) computed?
  • The SRP Plan Document defines the precise way the COLA is determined.
  • The Bank Group has historically matched the changes in consumer price index (CPI), while it retains some discretion in determining the rate of COLA increases as described in the SRP Plan Document 8.5(c) for Net Plan and 15.5(c) for Gross Plan).
  • To view how the COLA is calculated, log into the Pension Portal.
  • Select “Governance” on the top menu bar.
  • Then click on the “Plan Document” tab, and then click on “Plan Document”
  • For those on the Net Plan, see Article 8 (page 43) and for those on the Gross Plan, see Article 15 (page 72).
Where can I find information about inflation protection of my pension?
  • For a summary of the inflation protection offered in the pension, in less legalistic language, see the Plan Brochures.
  • Log into the Pension Portal.
  • Select “Pension Benefits” on the top menu bar.
  • Directly under “Quick Links” in the top right, you’ll find hyperlinks for the Gross Plan Brochure and Net Plan Brochure. Each brochure has a page titled “Inflation Protection.”
When will I find out the amount of this year’s Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA)?
  • WBG Pension Administration posts the annual COLA on the Pension Portal during the first two weeks of June.
  • The COLA adjustment is paid retroactively from May 1 each year.
Where can I view this year’s COLA?
  •  On the Pension Portal, select “Annual Reporting” on the top menu bar.
  • Then click on the “Cola Report” tab to see the percent increase per currency.
What is a Life Certificate?

Like many other pension plans, Pension Administration requires annual proof that you are alive so that you continue to receive your pension without interruption.

Why do we have to complete a Life Certificate every year?

It is important for you to submit your life certificates every year to avoid suspension of your pension.

When is the Life Certificate due?

The annual Life Certificate has to be submitted before April 30 each year.

What are the benefits of completing the Life Certificate online?
  • Life certification can be done from the convenience of your home
  • Allows you and your e-Witness to maintain social distance to be safe
  • No need for a printer or scanner
  • Protection from delayed or lost mail
  • Faster confirmation of receipt of the Life Certificate
How do I complete the Life Certificate?

You may choose to send the duly completed Life Certificate using any one of these options:

  1. through the digital e-Witness option in the Retiree Portal (Click “My Pension” box; then click “Life Certificate”);
  2. upload the scanned copy via desktop/laptop or mobile device (Click “My Pension” box; then click “Life Certificate”); or
  3. regular mail
Where can I find the Staff Retirement Plan and COLA Reports??
  • Go to https://pension.worldbank.org and use the email account/password as registered with the Pension Administration to sign-in.
  • Click on the Annual Reporting tab at the top of the menu bar.
What else can I do on the Retiree Portal?
  • You can update your contact information by clicking on the “My Pension” box, then “Personal Information.”
  • You can contribute to Community Connections Campaign (CCC) by clicking on the “Donation Matching” box.
  • You can download your pension statements, forms and tax letters, including Form 1099R to file your pension returns, and Substitute Form 1095-C on Employer-Provided Health Coverage for your tax returns by clicking on then “My Pension” box, then “Statements.”
How can I ask questions regarding the World Bank's 401(k)?

February 9, 2023

Aging Resources

Expand All Collapse All
Where can I find information about retirement communities and assisted-living facilities?

Refer to the “RALC Communities – A Resource Guide to Assist Your Search for a Retirement Community,” on the Society website under WBG Alumni Resources/Members Helping Members.

Where can I find guidance on things that I should prepare in advance to help my loved ones manage and administer my estate after my death or in case I am incapacitated?

Refer to the “Handbook for Advance Planning by Retirees and Families for End of Life” and the “Sample Checklist for Advance Planning” on the Society website under WBG Alumni Resources/Members Helping Members.  Family members may also access the Guide for Actions After A Death from the Society website under WBG Resources.

What is Long-Term Care (LTC) insurance?
  • LTC insurance covers the cost of certain pre-defined instances when you need extended care.
  • The coverage may vary depending on the agreed policy terms, but, generally, it can include such items as home care, assisted living, adult daycare, respite care, hospice care, nursing home, etc.
  • LTC insurance offers more flexibility and options than many public assistance programs, such as Medicaid.
  • It is a private insurance available to anyone who is willing to pay the premium to access benefits later in your life when you or your spouse may need extended care.
Should I purchase LTC insurance?

It is a personal decision that only you can make based on your current and projected financial situation. The main considerations are to weigh the possibility you may need LTC at some stage in your life, and whether you will have adequate resources available to cover the cost of LTC (that can be high) weighed against the premiums you must pay.

How much can LTC cost in the Washington Metropolitan area?

According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Study, the world’s population is aging at a faster rate than ever before, and people are living longer.

  • Every day until 2030, 10,000 Baby Boomers will turn 65 and 7 out of 10 people will require long term care in their lifetime.
  • Nursing home care costs about $156,000 (private room) per annum.
What are the potential costs of mild cognitive impairment, dementia, and mental limits?

The following statistics are among the 100 Must-Know Statistics about Long-Term Care  (2020) published by Morning Star:

  • Alzheimer’s dementia affects 3% of Americans over age 65 and 32 percent of those over age 85.
  • The estimated lifetime cost of care for someone with dementia is $321,780.
  • The average life expectancy following an Alzheimer’s diagnosis is 8-10 years.
What does LTC cover?
  • LTC is care needed if you can no longer perform basic everyday tasks called “Activities of Daily Living” (ADL) by yourself due to a chronic illness, injury, advancing age or cognitive impairment. This type of care is not intended to cure you but is personal care that you might need for the rest of your life. ADL include bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, transferring and maintaining continence.
  • Most policies start paying once you need help with two or more ADLs after you have waited through your policy’s elimination period, which is typically 90 days.
  • Current policies typically include memory care for Alzheimer’s and dementia; however, some older policies are more restrictive and may specifically exclude memory care so check the policy terms.
What is not covered by LTC insurance?
  • All policies contain limits and exclusions, and they differ from policy to policy. Before you buy, be sure you understand exactly what is and is not covered under a particular policy.
  • Specific exclusions are listed in all long LTC policies. Some common exclusions include:
    • Mental illness, however, the policy may NOT exclude or limit benefits for Alzheimer’s Disease, senile dementia, or demonstrable organic brain disease.
    • Intentionally self-inflicted injuries.
    • Alcoholism and drug addiction.
    • Care in government nursing facilities unless a charge is made in which you are obligated to pay.
    • Coverage while the insured is outside the United States and its possessions.
What is the best age to purchase LTC insurance?

According to the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) the optimal age to shop for a long-term care policy, assuming you’re still in good health and eligible for coverage, is between 60 and 65.  Couples may want to start looking between 55 and 59.

What are the negatives to traditional LTC Insurance?
  • LTC insurance is expensive: The most obvious drawback of purchasing a LTC insurance policy is the cost because they are expensive and not everyone can afford them. U.S. citizens who have access to Social Security benefits may want to compare the limited benefits covered by social security with LTC insurance to decide whether or not they want additional coverage. This option does not apply to retirees who become naturalized U.S. citizens after retirement.
  • Premium hikes could be frequent and/or substantial: Because you will likely pay premiums for 10, 20, or even 30 years, be prepared for rate hikes over the years.
  • The industry is volatile: You could purchase an ideal policy offered by an insurance company today, and that company could be gone tomorrow. Many insurance companies that previously offered long-term care policies have dropped out of the market.
How can I purchase LTC insurance?
  • In years past, 1992-2011, the WBG arranged for LTC insurance through MetLife. In 2011, it discontinued its arrangement with MetLife and now LTC insurance can only be purchased in the external market, such as through AARP.
  • If you decide to buy LTC insurance, carefully study the coverages offered, premiums (including escalation clause), and other stipulations that can often be in the fine print.
Will Medicare or other National Health Insurance plans cover LTC?
  • In the U.S., Medicare may only cover very specific costs, and for a limited period of time, but it is not an LTC insurance. See What Medicare Covers.
  • The situation in countries outside the U.S. varies. Please consult websites and experts in the relevant countries.
Are there other ways in which LTC costs can be covered?
  • Whole life insurance is another option that you can draw from for long-term care.
  • Unlike the older variety of LTC insurance, these “hybrid” policies will return money to your heirs even if you don’t end up needing long-term care.
  • You don’t run traditional policies’ risk of a rate hike because you lock in your premium upfront.
Where can I find more information about LTC insurance?

February 9, 2023