Sponsored by the Agriculture and Rural Development Thematic Group
On February 1, 2023 at 1 pm (Washington time) the World Bank’s 1818 Society will host a presentation on the status of the reforms of the CGIAR, and the issues and controversies which have arisen during the reform process. The presentation will be made both in person in room MC 4-300 at the World Bank, and via WEBEX (see connection below). Participation will include not only 1818 society members, but interested staff from the World Bank and the CGIAR There will be several presenters including two who have been instrumental in developing and seeing through the CGIAR reforms: Juergen Voegele and Marco Ferroni. They will describe the nature of the reforms and the issues that have arisen. Both have previously spoken to the 1818 Society about the reforms. The other three speakers have all completed, or nearly completed, analysis of the reforms, some of which will be published shortly. They include Uma Lele, John McIntire, and Derek Byerlee.
All of the speakers are known to you, and all are members of the 1818 Society as well as either retired or current Bank staff.
- Marco Ferroni was until very recently the chair of the CGIAR System Management Board, and also a major sponsor of the CGIAR reform. His career includes work as head of the Syngenta Foundation, and a staff member of the Inter American Development Bank and the World Bank.
- Jeurgen Voegele is currently a Vice President of the World Bank whose many duties include oversight of the CGIAR by the Bank. Jeurgen has held various positions in the World Bank including oversight of its agriculture and its climate change work. He was instrumental in shepherding the reform of the CGIAR.
- John McIntire is currently a free lance consultant, having completed research on the CGIAR reform. He has worked in ICRISAT, the World Bank, IFAD and ILRI.
- Uma Lele is currently the President of the International Agriculture Economics Association. She co-chaired (with Namanga Nyongi) the High Level Task Force on the CGIAR, whose report is about to be issued. She has worked at the World Bank, with several international organizations and US universities.
- Derek Byerlee is currently working with Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, and has completed research on the CGIAR organization and management structure. He has been a staff member of both the World Bank and Cimmyt.
Moderator: Kevin Cleaver, the former chair of the Agriculture and Rural Development Thematic Group of the 1818 Society will moderate. Kevin is a former staff member of the World Bank, and of IFAD, and has served on the former CGIAR Donor Board.
Please RSVP if you will be attending in person. Location: MC4-300
To join virtually, please register to receive the Webex connection details:
Meeting number: 2312 494 7544
Join by phone
1-650-479-3207 Call-in number (US/Canada)
Access code: 2312 494 7544
Global call-in numbers